Last Updated on
Microsoft Office is a suite of client software, server software, and services designed and developed by Microsoft for office or business use. Microsoft Office is a proprietary product of Microsoft Corporation and it was first released in 1990. The core applications of Microsoft Office are:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft OneNote
- Skype for Business
- Microsoft Teams
There is nothing new to say about the importance, popularity, and use of Microsoft Office in our daily life. Whether you are a student or a businessman, the Microsoft Office suite is perfect for everyone. If you are moving from your old computer to a new one then you can easily move from older existing Office installation to the new computer. However, if you don’t know the proper process then it can be a daunting task. Moreover, if you want to move your Office installation to a different computer then it requires the following three conditions:
- 25 character Product key
- The license type, only “retail” and “FPP” license types are transferable
- An installation disk that matches the Product key
Now follow the steps to transfer Microsoft Office to another computer.
Identify the Microsoft Office license type
First, you have to identify what type of Microsoft Office license you have. Here is a list of some of the most popular Microsoft Office license type:
- FPP (Full Product Pack) – This is the most popular license type and you can buy this type of license online.
- HUP (Home Use Program) – This license is much similar to the FPP type but it is usually cheaper than the FPP.
- OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) – This type of license is installed by default on some computers. It’s not available on CDs.
- PKC (Product Key Card) – PKCs are commonly sold online or in stores in a card-like format.
- POSA (Point of Sale Activation) – You can obtain this type of license from online stores and a few other retail stores.
- ESD (Electronic Software Download) – Exclusive electronic software that is only obtained from online stores and retail shops.
- NFR (Not for Resale) – These licenses are usually given away for promotional reasons
Only the FPP, HUP, PKC, POSA, and ESD type licenses can be transferred from one computer to another. Now follow these steps:
- First from the Start Menu of your computer open Command Prompt as an Administrator
- Now use the elevated Command Prompt and open the Office installation folder
- “cd + *Office location path*”
- Now type the following command into the elevated Command Prompt and hit Enter
- cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus
- It will take a few times to show the result
- Once the result come click on the License Name and License Description to check the type
Verify the number of concomitant installations allowed
Most of the Microsoft Office license types only allow one installation on one computer.But there are few license types available that allow installing Office on a second computer. The “Home and Student” bundleallow users to activate the license on 3 different computers in the home.If you have an Office 2010 license then you can install it on another computer without the need to transfer the license which is very convenient.
How to Transfer an Office 2010 License
So if your license supports installing/transferring it to another computer then follow these simple instructions to transfer an Office 2020 license:
- First, uninstall the Office installation from your old computer. Make sure you delete the Office 2010 completely because deleting only the installation folder will not free up the activation count.
- Now go to your new computer and check if it has a limited free trial copy of Microsoft Office installed.
- If you find a limited free trial copy of Microsoft Office then uninstall it.
- Now install the Office suite associated with your license from the CD or other installation media on the new computer.
- Once the installation is completed open any of the applications from the suite.
- Now click on the file and select Account from the drop-down menu.
- Then click on the Activate Product and then Change Product Key.
- Now insert the Product Key and you have successfully transferred your Office 2010to a new computer.
Using the above method you can easily transfer Microsoft Office 2010 from one computer to another. The method is very easy and you don’t have to be a computer expert to apply it. However, if you are facing any problem then feel free to ask in the comment section. Our experts will provide you the guidance.
- The Legend of Zelda | Breath of the Wild Cheat Codes for Switch and Wii U - July 12, 2020
- Minecraft Keep Crashing – How Can I Fix It? - July 12, 2020
- The Simpsons | Hit and Run Cheat Codes and Tricks for GameCube - July 12, 2020