Last Updated on
The internet has become an integral part of our life. Presently, more than 4.3 billion people are actively using the internet around the world. We can’t imagine our life without the internet. Internet is considered as one of the greatest creations and inventions of humankind. Thanks to the internet the whole world is in our doorsteps. We can know information about weather, politics, news, traffic, and what not with the help of the internet. However, there is nothing more annoying thana slow internet connection. In this article, our experts have shared a few proven methods on how you can increase internet speed on Windows 7 computers. Read the article to know the details.
Method 1 – Scanning for Malware
Many experts say malware can reduce the internet speed of your computer. So it is wiser you scan your computer for malware every now and then. If your Windows 7 computer has a slow net connection then it may be because of adware, spyware, or other types of malware that you got while browsing different websites. So follow these simple steps to scan your computer for malware:
- First, click on the Start Menu of your computerand type Windows Defender on the search bar
- Now click on the Defender from the search result and open the app. It is the built-in antimalware application that comes with Windows 7
- Before you start the scanning process check for malware definition updates and if there are any updates available then update the malware definition
- Now from the Menu click on the Scan button and all the scanning options will appear
- You can choose from Full Scan or Quick Scan to scan your computer
- You can also do Custom Scan. Just select a folder that you want to scan and then run the scan
- Once the scan is completed you will see the detected malware
- Select all the malware and then click Remove
Method 2 – Ruling out Network Issues
After scanning the computer if you don’t find any malware then you should check your network setting and see if there is any network issue available to reduce the internet speed of your Windows 7 computer.
- First, reboot your router or modem. Sometimes rebooting the router or modem clears up the speed issues.
- Make sure your router or modem is not close to anything that can interfere with its signal. You can bring your computer close to the router or connect your computer via a LAN cable to see if the internet speed increases or not.
- The internet connection to your ISP can reduce internet speed. So run a network speed test from https://www.speedtest.net. Now check the result and if the numbers are way off then call your internet service provider to solve the problem.
- If many devices connect to the same network then you can experience slow internet speed. So disconnect every other device those are connected to your router and see if the speed increase or not.
- Try an Ethernet connection to increase the internet speed because Ethernet connections have lower latency and no chance of wireless interference.
Method 3 – Limiting Reservable Bandwidth
Computer reserves bandwidthfor apps running on it. You can increase the speed of your internet connection by limiting the reservable bandwidth of your computer. Follow these simple steps:
- First press the Windows Key and “R” button together to open the Run dialog box
- Now in the dialog box type “gpedit.msc” and press the enter button
- A new folder-like window will open
- Now click on the “Administrative Templates” folder. You will find it in the left panel under Computer Configuration
- From there click on the Network folder
- Now click “QoS Packet Scheduler” in the Network folder
- Then double-click “Limit reservable bandwidth” and it willopen a new dialog window
- From there change the Bandwidth Limit to Zero
- Now click Apply and then click Ok to complete the process
- Finally, reboot your computer
Method 4 – Use Command Prompt
According to many computer geeks, you can improvethe internet speed by running certain commands from Command Prompt. So follow these steps:
- Start Command Prompt as administrator
- When Command Prompt starts, enter the following lines:
- netshinttcp show global
- netshinttcp set global chimney=enabled
- netshinttcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
- netschinttcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
After you execute all the commands, close Command Prompt, and check if the internet speed increased or not.
I hope the above methods help you increase internet speed on Windows 7 computers. If you have any questions about these methods, then leave them in the comment section. Finally, consult with a professional if your internet speed is not increasing.
- What is ANT Radio Service and How to Use this App for PC? - May 30, 2020
- How to Turn Oﬀ Safe Mode on iPhone – Step by Step Guide - May 30, 2020
- How to Map Network Drive on Mac – Step by Step Guide - May 30, 2020