Last Updated on
Do you want to lead a successful engineering career?
Would you like to know how you should navigate in the engineering realm?
Whatever we do and whatever we intend to accomplish, the fruits of engineering genius keep us ahead. All the things that stand tall to announce human accomplishment can be largely attributed to engineering.
How are you reading this article?
Is it via a smartphone or tablet?
Then, it must be on a device with computational power than the average mainframe 20 years ago. Think of anything electric or non-electric that eases your lifestyle. It could be your sleek OLED TV, your ergonomic desk chair; all these things scream dazzling feats of engineering.
So, how can you be someone who can contribute to the ongoing engineering revolution?
Top-grade engineering schools now graduate students with the avant-garde diplomas hand. The moment is absolutely right to think of launching a successful career building in engineering.
In this article, I detailed everything you need to do become a successful engineer.
- Prepare Early: if you want to be an engineer, you should prepare yourself with such a goal as early as possible. Set your sight on becoming an engineer during middle school or high school. Become someone with a grounding in math and science.
- Take basic math course like algebra, mensuration, geometry, trigonometry, calculus
- Take science courses, such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc.
- Get involved in extra-curricular activities like a math or science camp in the summer
- STEM Knowledge: STEM refers to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The core foundation of almost every engineering discipline is laid by STEM. So, you have to be equipped with adequate knowledge of STEM. Your vast knowledge of STEM ensures your potential for success.
#Pro Tip: engineering basically involves solving a series of mathematical and logistical issues. So, keep yourself occupied with solving such problems at university, masters and post-graduate levels.
- Become a Problem-Solver: start solving issues that you are passionate about, for which success depends on the world becoming a better place. An engineer should be an entrepreneur by heart. He/she looks examine ways to solve something that we consider broken.
- Develop Fascination towards Analytics: your aspiration to become a problem-solver starts with your fascination towards analytics. The world of engineering is full of problems. There are problems, as are solutions. You have to approach almost every task with an analytical mind. You have to develop solutions so that they meet requirements.
- Build an Outstanding Team: working with a team has always proved beneficial for engineers. What you can achieve with a team will be superior to you working individually. So, work with a team that will help you accomplish goals.
#Pro Tip: carefully pick your team members. Your team members can either complement your talents or become a challenge to achieve your full potential. So, carefully produce a team with skilled members.
- Work Hard: there is no alternative to working hard in the engineering field. Famous engineers and inventors acknowledge how working hard helped them achieve wonders. American inventor, Thomas Edison, once said, “Genius is two percent inspiration and ninety-eight percent perspiration.”
- Work Towards Surpassing Your Idol: you may have someone you secretly admire. Many of us admire Steve Jobs and the revolution he leads for manufacturing avant-garde devices. You can identify the people who inspire you and find out how they led a successful career. You can hope to become someone like them or surpass them.
- Weigh Your Portfolio of Projects: utilize every hands-on, learning opportunity relevant to your field. Your participation in experimental learning opportunity will make your portfolio heavy. And, you can show something unique to a prospective employer as well.
- Network: a good leader is someone who can build a network with people from all walks of life. Remember, your acquaintance with different people is almost as important as what you know.
#Pro Tip: take advantage of various social media sites, such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+ to build a network.
- Become Open to Suggestions: you may have some flaws that you are not aware of. But, your flaws may be obstructing the team. As soon as you are aware of your flaws, take initiatives to fix them.
Engineers fix and build the world. If you want to be an engineer, do you have what it takes to become one? Go through the list of things in this article become a successful engineer.